Beidou Township Office Service Network(go to home)
Welcome to Beidou About The Office Laws & Regulations(Open new window) Tourist Information(Open new window) Links Glossary
* History
History
History

    Bei-Dou Township was known as Bao-Dou; with the river flowing from Dong-Luo, it was a harbor on the branch of Zhuo-shui River and was engaged in trading with China. As the harbor was an important site of southern Changhua County, in the late Qing Dynasty, Bao-Dou was surrounded by fences and had defensive walls. Inside the fences there were dye workshops and sugar refineries; it was a scene of flourishing business only next to that of Lugang; there was an expression used: “First, Fu-Cheng; Second, Lugang; Third, Mengjia; Fourth, Bao-Dou.” The original name of Bei-Dou Township was Dong-Luo, and the first downtown streets were She-Zi Village in Jiu-She, which was built in the southern bank of Dongluo River in 1738 (The third year of Qianlong Emperor’s reign). Now She-Zi Village is called Jiou-Mei Village in Xi-Zhou Township. In 1806 (The eleventh year of JiaQing Emperor’s reign), the houses and fields of downtown streets were all ruined due to the armed battle between immigrants from Zhang Zhou and Quan Zhou. In 1821 (The first year of Daoguang Emperor’s reign), She-Zi Village was rebuilt in the Bao-Dou Village at the riverside and given a new name, “Bao-Dou.” However, because of the “Dou-Liu-Men” in Yunlin County to the south of Bao-Dou, the village was renamed “Bei-Dou” according to the astrological meaning of the “Six Stars of the Southern Dipper & The Seven Stars of the Northern Dipper.”